If you have ordered your teeth whitening trays or a night guard or any other dental appliance online, you must know how to use the do it yourself dental impression kit.
Making the dental impression is the primary and possibly the most important step in the process for fabricating a dental appliance. Now in the age of do-it-yourself dentistry, it is imperative to make an accurate impression because all the other steps that follow will be based on it.
The dental impression is used to create an exact replica of your teeth and oral tissues, over which the appliance will be built.
Once you’ve placed an order for your custom dental device, wait for your do it yourself impression kit which will come with a set of instructions. Read and follow those instructions carefully to ensure the dental impression comes out right.
Follow the below steps to use the do it yourself dental impression kit:Upper Teeth Impression
- Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth nicely to ensure there are no deposits
- First, pull out the upper impression tray and try to fit it over your teeth pulling your cheeks a little. Then put it aside for while
- Now mix the putty (purple and white pastes) together and knead it for over a minute ensuring a uniform-colored dough
- Load this putty material into the tray, spreading it evenly across the surface and edges
- Now carefully place this tray into your mouth, setting your teeth inside the putty slowly
- The tray must cover all your teeth up to the last molar and your lip should cover the interior of the tray in the front
- Let it stay for four minutes so the putty sets
- Snap it out gently in the downward direction and examine the impression
- If it looks alright, place it in the provided plastic bag and start with the lower teeth
Lower Teeth Impression
- Try to place the horse-shoe shaped tray over your lower teeth. Once you are satisfied with the position, place it aside
- Once again, mix and knead the purple and while putty dough and roll it into a finger like log
- Load the tray with this impression material and check that it is thick enough on all sides and extending well to the edges
- Place the tray over your teeth and gently push it down, gradually sinking your teeth into the putty. The tray must go down far enough so all your teeth and adjoining tissues are covered. Your teeth should almost reach the tray through the putty.
- Allow it to set for about four minutes
- Pull up the dental tray to break the seal and remove it from your mouth
- Examine the impression and if it looks good (like the ones in the images) place it in the plastic bag along with the upper teeth impression.